Friday, March 7, 2008

prosperity gospel: "a bunch of crap called gospel"

We recently had the privilege of Pastor John Piper speak at our church for a conference presented by The Resurgence, a theology ministry started by Mars Hill Church. and it simply blew us away. I was amazed by his preaching and passion for the Gospel in the bits and pieces of his sessions I could catch while running around working the conference. Recently during a discussion about the Sufficiency of God, this sermon was mentioned. In the words of a fellow blogger... Prepare to take some strong medicine. Pastor Piper pulls no punches.




Romans 5:2-5 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

1 comments:

Casy Tani said...

sam and liz...

let me preface this my humbling myself first....i know that i fail and fall short of the glory of god....i have not been a good friend or person...ive changed so much in so many different ways, as a person, as a friend and most importantly as a christian...through my darkest hours and darkest days there will always one ray of light that i can always depend on-GOD....ive strayed so far from that path that i was on and somehow cant find my way back...its been a long and windy road for me and im so angry and brokenhearted to know that im not that same person...its when you feel like youve lost everything that he appears to you...when all the material and emotional things are no longer there...one thing remains, because under all of it is GOD...i feel so awful to think that ive put so many things above him...that message that i just watched brought my soul to its very knees...im am such a wreck right now..."God is good, and God is good enough"...im still struggling to get through my current situation with michelle right now and it is tearing the very life out of me...i know that if i leave it with God that he will make everything right...i know that you told me that when you were going through strife you found God and that helps me a lot...i see your life and wish that i could live the way that you do...i want to know that im doing all this for the right reasons...i dont want to make myself believe that by me coming back and leaving it all in God's hands that i will find a cure to mend my brokenheart....i need redemption...i need salvation....